The construction of the Lower Belvedere took place between 1712 and 1716. The architect was Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt, who designed many of Prince Eugene’s buildings and was Austria’s greatest Baroque architect together with Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach.
The Lower Belvedere was accessed from Rennweg through the central gate, embellished with coats of arms and initials, into the cour d’honneur and from there the entrance originally led directly into the Marble Hall. While the Lower Belvedere was a residence, the Upper Belvedere was primarily designed for the purpose of prestige and display. Parts of the prince’s collections were also housed in the Lower Belvedere.
Lower Belvedere and the former Orangery are venues for top temporary exhibitions.
Exhibition - Kiki Smith (07 June 2019 to 15 September 2019)
In summer 2019, the Lower Belvedere is presenting the multi-facetted oeuvre of the American artist Kiki Smith. The exhibition will feature around sixty works from the last three decades, including recent pieces, and will place a focus on sculpture.
The Ticket is valid one year from purchase date
The ticket entitles you to one visit to all booked museums
Reduced tickets are only available at the museums
Children & teenagers (up to and including 18 years): free
Last admittance 30 minutes before closing.
Palace garden is accessible for the public.
Mon-Sun 10am-6pm / Fri 10am-9pm
The Belvedere aims to make sure that people with disabilities have an easy and enjoyable museum visit.